Fragrance oils are primarily made from petrochemicals and attempt to duplicate the smell of a specific plant. A 1986 report by the National Academy of Sciences reports that 95 percent of the chemicals used in synthetic fragrances are derived from petroleum and include benzene derivatives, aldehydes and many other known toxins and synthesizers capable of causing cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders and allergic reactions.
Synthetic fragrances are manmade so therefore a cheaper option. Must less oil needs to be used creating a much stronger scent which can be hazardous to your health and your pets’ health. There are no aroma therapeutic benefits.
Even after banning methylene chloride (a known carcinogen that also causes autoimmune disease) in 1989, an EPA study two years later listed the chemical as one of the 20 most common chemicals found in fragrance products. In a 2001 study, the EPA reported that synthetic fragrances were shown to cause "possible mutagenic and genotoxic effects." Synthetic fragrances have also been shown to contain hormone disruptors which are linked to abnormal cell reproduction and may result in tumor growth. Synthetic fragrances are not recommended to use around animals.
Soy wax is derived from vegetables, (soy beans), while it's counter partner, paraffin wax is derived from petroleum (a refined a gasoline product).
Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource. Soy wax is non-toxic so is environmentally friendly.
Soy wax is biodegradable and cleans up with plain old soap and water.
Soy wax has a lower melting point than paraffin wax and because of this, soy candles will burn slower or longer than paraffin candles.
Soy candles hold onto the scent from essential oils, because they burn more slowly, the scent is gradually released. This creates a more pleasant and healthy environment for you and your pets.
Soy wax burns with zero petrol soot, creating petro soot free candles. Paraffin candles burn with petro-soot. Petro-soot from paraffin candles gives off the same soot as the exhaust of a diesel engine, and is considered just as dangerous as second hand smoke, causing problems from headaches to lung cancer. Paraffin fumes have been found to cause tumors in the kidneys and liver of lab animals.
Most candles, tealights, pillars and novelty candles are made from paraffin. Paraffin candles are made from paraffin wax, a by-product of petroleum refining. The result? A highly toxic (and environmentally unfriendly) product that literally poisons the air you breathe.
Paraffin wax starts as the sludge at the bottom of the barrel of crude oil. The black sludge, already filled with numerous toxins, undergoes bleaching and treatment by carcinogens benzene and/or toluene. And the chemicals don’t stop there. Chemists mix in toxic concoctions of colors and fragrances to make this waste product marketable and appealing. The end result is an innocent looking candle which releases seven documented toxins –two of which are carcinogenic–when it burns.
And toxins aren’t the only problem with burning paraffin candles. Over time, repeatedly burning paraffin candles leaves black soot stains on walls, ceilings, furniture, and curtains. The microscopic soot particles at fault for the cosmetic damage also cause serious health problems. These tiny particles are easily inhaled and get trapped in the deepest part of the lungs, which may cause respiratory irritation.